Nothing like a contest deadline from Prima to get my tote bag finished up! Pressure motivates me! Here's my happy little tote bag. It makes me smile.
I was out shopping with my daughter when I spotted this adorable dress on the 75% rack. I loved the colors and patterns, so I bought it for the fabric. I cut it into strips, while my canvas bag was drying from a coat of acrylic paint. During Donna Downey's "Apron" miniworkshop, she showed us how to paint on canvas with watered-down acrylics. It was like ooooooooooooooooh.
I decided to try this same technique on my canvas bag, except I used a stencil brush with red acrylic paint (I didn't want the over-spray look)
I had just adhered the red polka dot ruffle, using fabric glue . . . so my clothespins are holding it in place until it dries.
The author of Canvas Remix, Alisa Burke has TOTALLY been inspiring me lately! I found her blog through a link on Kelly Rae Robert's blog and immediately fell in love. I decided to use two of her techniques on my canvas tote.
The first technique is from her book, making layered flowers from a piece of canvas (fabric). I purchased some canvas fabric at INSPIRED., so decided to try it with Donna Downey's new foam stamp Daisies. It's 10 1/4" ginormous inches tall and I'm loving it.
So I cut three piece of canvas, slightly larger than stamp size and painted each a different color. Then here's where I started my famous habit of "If you give a mouse a cookie . . . " It goes something like this.
2) I wanted to stamp image to show up, so stamped it with white acrylic paint
3) I like how Alisa Burke and CD both use so much fun stitching in their projects
So I decided to try them all! Then remembered – oh ya, I was just wanting a floral stamp on the front. I loved all these techniques and had a lot of fun.
I decided to use some of the dress fabric for the tote handle. The handle is adjustable, so I had to get creative. I used Alisa Burke's wrap and stitch method that I saw her use on flip flops! That blog post is here.
I sewed together strips of the dress and trimmings that I had. I was thrilled to find out all this bulk would fit into my sewing machine. I really wanted that flower stitched on!
I added the extra petals to the flip side of the polka dot flower for a new look (never ended up using the third red flower – saved for another project). I used my machine for the fabric and trim, along with the flower stems and petals . . . but found I couldn't turn all the bulk of the bag to sew the flower petals – so I hand-stitched them on. Now I need to get online and find the presser foot that will let me move around freely without turning it all!
And that was it! I love my new bag!
Stay inspired with my latest videos, tutorials, new artwork, creative tips, exclusive sales, studio happenings, & more!